Saturday, April 23 - Sunday, May 1, 2022, 10 AM-3 PM. Rain or shine.
Strawberry Banke, Portsmouth, NH
About the event:
Baby Animals: Heritage Breeds at the Banke, showcases a variety of heirloom breeds of Barnyard Baby Animals (and their moms) that would have been familiar to earlier generations. The event is a family-friendly opportunity to learn more about domestic livestock typical on coastal northern New England farms from the 17th century to the present day.
Peter Cook curates the event, securing breeders from NH, ME, MA, & NY farms who are experts in heritage animals including lambs, kids, calves, piglets, bunnies, chicks, and ducklings.
The breeders answer visitors’ questions, explaining the developmental needs of the babies, the various aspects of husbandry that are required to raise them, and why they have chosen to preserve these sometimes-endangered domestic animals for future generations. Many farms are family projects enthusiastically supported by multiple generations of caretakers.
Note: All of the animals are rare, heritage breeds, many of which are on the verge of extinction. For the health and safety of both the animals and visitors petting is not allowed.
Participating farms, breeders, and animal educators include:
- Newly-hatched chicks, turkeys, and ducklings
- Clun Forest sheep and lambs, Riverbank Farm (Salisbury, NH)
- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs and piglets, Gentile Family Homestead (Fitzwilliam, NH)
- Kerry and Dexter cattle and calves, Kerry Cattle Association (Westminster, MA)
- Jacob sheep and lambs, Hawthorn & Thistle Farmstead (Washington, ME)
- Lincoln Longwool sheep and lambs, Weston Family Farm (Hancock, NH)
- Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats and kids, Tiny Hill Farm (Milton Mills, NH)
- Shetland sheep and lambs, Echo Valley Farm (Limerick, ME)
- Silver Fox rabbits and kittens, Kerfluffle Fiber Farm (Lebanon, ME)
- Spanish goats and kids, Elior Acres, LLC (Bradford, NH)
- Soay sheep and lambs, Tare Shirt Farm (Berwick, ME)
Additionally, enjoy an old-fashioned shopping experience at Pickwick's at the Banke, the Museum store.
Member ticket sales begin on Wednesday, March 23, 2022, at 10 AM.
Public ticket sales begin on Monday, March 28, 2022, at 10 AM.
- Members*: free or 50% off depending on membership level
- Adults: $10.00
- Children (ages 3 - 17): $5.00
- Children (under 3): free
- Active Duty Military Families. Veterans**: free